Thursday, January 29, 2009
A night of Ideas
Need a great date idea? Instead of going out to the cinema, rent a movie to watch at home together instead. Not only is this more casual, it is easy to combine with other activities and gives you the chance to talk to each other. Plus your sofa is bound to be cosier and better for the cuddles you're probably hoping for.
Here are ten great movies for a date night in. Included are a variety of different movie styles so that there is something for every couple.
1. Mr. & Mrs. Smith: This movie is a hit because it has something for everyone. Starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, there is eye candy all around. Jolie and Pitt play assassins who are married to each other, but don't know the truth about their partner. There is violence, humour, and romance. Everyone is happy because it is both a big boy-movie blockbuster, and a sweet story about keeping the spark in your relationship.
This movie gets extra points because Jolie and Pitt began their real-life relationship during the filming, and so it can lead to good conversations about relationships.
2. Chocolat: This is one of the most sensual movies around. Juliette Binoche plays a single mother who wanders throughout Europe selling divine chocolates. She causes controversy in the small French town where she sets up a Chocolaterie, and soon the town is disturbed further by gypsies, including the sexy Roux (Johnny Depp). Not only is this a sweet film, but it will tickle your taste buds as well.
For a really great date, watch this movie with a box of nice chocolates, or—better yet—chocolate fondue.
3. Mamma Mia: Not only does this film have an all-star cast (including Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, and Colin Firth), it has a great soundtrack. It is full of songs by Abba, and so by the end of the night you will both be singing along (one of the special features on the DVD is a karaoke setting). You are guaranteed to have a laugh together at it, and the movie is all about an upcoming wedding and past romances, so it's great for a date.
4. Amelie: This quirky film stars Audrey Tautou as Amelie, a young Parisian who begins an unusual romance with an elusive young man. This movie is not your main-stream Hollywood fare, and includes priceless moments with garden gnomes, photo booths, and coffee makers. The movie is in French, so be prepared for subtitles, but it is a great romantic film.
5. Just Like Heaven: This romantic comedy stars Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo. He moves into a great, new apartment, only to find out that it is haunted by an annoying, but cute, woman. Who is she? Can they be together? Their developing relationship is both sweet and humorous.