Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What is the time?

Have you ever heard the cliche "Time Flies"? Do you think time flies? If time flies where does it go?

Time is defined in many ways depending on how you use it in a sentence. In this instance, time can be described as ones lifetime. Time is a non spatial continuum, in which events occur in apparent irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. As the clock ticks off minutes, hours and days, we may not have finished what we are doing or what we want to do, but the clock keeps ticking leaving us with less time.

As a child, time seemed like it stopped, it didn't go fast enough. As time passes, it picks up the pace and we hear "the older I get the faster time goes", or "time really flies". We look back on our memories and wonder where time went.

Remembering the "good old days", my grandparents lived a block from my parents house and growing up, I spent a lot of time there. After my Grandfather retired, both of them stitched hand made quilts using the old quilting frames, giving them to children and grandchildren. Grandma used to say "we do it to pass the time". They also spent many hours in the front porch swing, talking about what their lives were like raising their family in times gone by. My Grandfather owned a gasoline jobber business and the boys in the family helped out there, while the girls helped in the house and with the growing of vegetables and fruits to feed their family. We heard stories about not having a road in front of their house when they built it and then a mud and gravel road before paving; there was no or little money and things were bartered or traded. As they grew older, when we were ending our visit, we would say "we will see you next time" and Grandma would respond with "Well, I hope so." She knew their time was growing near. My grandparents have both been gone several years, but I will always cherish the memories and the time I spent with my grandparents.


No comments: