Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 14, 2008

A romantic conversation at the park (Part 1)


It is toward late spring, and summer seems to be on the horizon. The clouds and rain of the night before had been replaced with sun and gentle winds. The weather was perfect today. The sky is clear, the gentle breeze brushes against the blooming hills of scented spring flowers.
The birds are chirping, and the squirels are running around hording up a cheek full of treasure nuts. It is a perfect day to say the least. This very perfect morning, I took my son for a morning stroll around the neighborhood and eventually to his favorite close by sanctuary, the playground. He named this place Abbey's playground. We took our bikes out, put on our helmets and off we go riding under the perfect sun with a ray of smile all over my son's face. This was going to be the perfect day.

As we arrived at the park, the parking lot was full of cars of all kinds. Lovers in red sport BMW's, mothers in suburbans Odyssey Vans, and fathers with their Ford trucks were all out in full force today. We parked our bikes and hiked for another 15 minutes to reach my son's favorite playground. The 15 minute trail begins on an old road and climbs through a mixed forest of hemlock, maple and alders. It crosses a sturdy bridge over a small stream and, as the trail climbs, the roar of everyday busy traffic fades. A tree gracefully arched over the trail. Several well-signed trail junctions are encountered along the way.

The 15 minutes hike ended quickly and we arrived at the park in which my son named it as Abbey's park. To our surprise, the playground was relatively empty. I would watch my son, run from swing to swing, down the slides he goes and in to the sandbox. After the sandbox comed the giant maze of tree house where he could ring all the bells and whistles or simply hung on the giant tree like trunks like tarzan hooting and howlering like the original wild character himself.

An hour quickly passed and the playground is still relatively empty. My son was still playing by himself and seemed to be loosing some interest after running up and down or perhaps just had a little bit fatigue. My son decided to take a break at the sandbox again. He began digging up sand, filling it in to his beach bucket and trying to build a sand castle. I decided to sneak away for a brief moment to the water fountain nearby. When I came back, I saw an adorable little blue eye blonde girl playing in the sandbox with my son. She had a smile that would light up even a funeral service. She looked like a little angel and my son seemed to be very taken by her giggles. The two were having a great time playing in the sandbox building a little sand castle.

I quickly sneaked back to a big tree close to the sandbox hoping to listen in to their conversation. The little girl made the first move and uttered the sweetest few words an innocent little girl could say to a boy, "ur..hmm...Can I play with you?" And my son being a bit shy only had one respond by turning his head downward. He didn't say a word but only nodded his head in agreement. From the sandbox they soon ran off to the swings together and off they went chasing one another in play and in fun. Whoosh down from the slides and laughing at the top of their lungs as they swang from tree trunks.

Somewhere through the birds chirping, the winds whispering through the perfect morning, or the winding flowing water brooks, I heard my son called out to her name...Abbey!



(The story continues....)

21 comments:

liz said...

What a Sweet story!..
..."Can I play with you?" such a special request for a young child...Looking forward to part 2!!!

tomshideaway said...

Nice story

Anonymous said...

This is such great vivid description of your neighborhood. Wish I have a boy to go to the park with.

Anonymous said...

Love the movie but your story is even better. Can't wait to read part 2..Can I play with you too?

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a beautiful descriptive story on a dreadful headache Tax day! at least got something to look forward to when part 2 comes out.

Anonymous said...

What park do you go to??
The parks I go to have mean girls!

fwidman said...

How adorable :)

Annie said...

Do you know that your links are in dark green in a black background? It is pretty hard to see the link word.

This is a cute story. Reminds me of my nephews when I take them to the park. Of course, my nephews are not shy. They will hit the girl and loudly scream for her to try to catch them instead.

Anonymous said...

The girls at our park won't even ask. They just come right over and throw sand at you. :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter's name is also abbey but she won't ask guys about playing with them. She simply sits there and expects boys to approach her. She is 4 and already got an attitude. What AM I GOING to do?

Scout said...

That is a beautiful story, and the photo of Kevin and Winnie is just perfect for it. I can't wait for the continuation.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Friend,
May I request, if it is not too much of a burden to you, to please subscribe to my Feedburner Feeds either through email or to my RSS Feed Reader. You can find them at the upper portion of my sidebars at all my blogs. This will save you the time of going over to my blogs to find out if I have made a new posting. The FeedBurner will automatically transmit, either through email or Feed Reader (whichever you choose), any new post that I make. This will facilitate linkages between us. I will do the same for you if you have your own feeds, but if you still don't have I will still visit your blog as often as I could. Just inform me via email or through your comment in any of my blogs that you have already enrolled in any of my feeds so that I can reciprocate your gesture. I will appreciate it very much if you could do this as it will definitely boost ranking for my blogs. Thank you very much for your usual kind cooperation and patronage of my blogs. God bless you and your loved ones always.

Anonymous said...

Such great descrptive words to go along with the story. Love the movie and I am a fan. Can't wait to read part 2.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have a little lady killer on hand! my son just scares all the little girls away most of the time if they come near his tonka trucks.

Anonymous said...

My little girl told a boy to get lost the other day at the park because he was pulling her barbies apart...You just never know these days.. but they are all still sweet kids.

Anonymous said...

That's lovely - I have a daughter and I adore watching her making friends with other children - they have a wonderful way of approaching each other and each has their own unique style!

Anonymous said...

I have son but he had struggle to find friends...sigh..How I wish to see him outgrow this fear.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful site you have here and your stories are great. I can't wait to read more of it. Glad I found it.

Anonymous said...

You must have a really sweet boy to have garner such attention from little girls already. Watch out Dad! pretty soon girls will knocking at your doors.

Brenda said...

I found your blog today and enjoyed reading your stories!

The Muse said...

I love the park at this time of year! Thanks for this beautiful post.